I love beauty products. I mean, I really, really love them. I think I inherited this from my mom. We both have the same passionate love for all-natural beauty products, and if they are locally and hand made…well then we really can’t pass them by. So assuming you have even a mediocre interest in all-natural personal care, today’s His Girl Friday post is a quick guide to some of my go-to favorites. And….to go along with this theme, I have a fantastic gift basket to raffle off to one lucky reader, full of some amazing all-natural, locally (well, local to me that is), and handmade personal care items, generously donated by Edens Shower. But more on the raffle later.
I’ve enjoyed makeup for as long as I can remember. I grew up with my mom selling Mary Kay, and I remember walking into the closet where she kept all her products and longing for the day when I could start doing exotic things like exfoliating and wearing blush. Occasionally she would fill up the little plastic demo trays with an assortment of makeup samples for me to try. I thought I was so glamorous.
These days, my mom doesn’t sell makeup any more, I’ve come to realize that I should never, ever wear blush, and I’ve formed a love-hate relationship with exfoliating. But my love for makeup and the glamorous feeling it give me remains the same. I love how wearing lipstick makes me feel just a little bit more confident, or how I feel fully “ready” for my day when I apply my mascara. And, lets be honest, makeup makes us feel, well…pretty.
I recently read a quote that said, “beauty isn’t makeup.” While I understand the message that this quote is trying to get across, namely that true beauty is on the inside, I am also a big believer that there is nothing that makes a woman look more lady-like and elegant than nicely done makeup with a bright lipstick.
I know I’ve mentioned in other posts that I grew up with strong female influences who were both classy and incredibly feminine. I also grew up watching old movies. Movies like Audrey Hepburn’s Roman Holiday (or Funny Face, or Sabrina, or Breakfast at Tiffany’s), Grace Kelly’s Rear Window and To Catch a Thief, and Barbara Stanwyck’s Double Indemnity. These women were the epitome of elegance and class, and they knew how to rock a made up face.
So for me, I’m embracing makeup. I want red lips, lady-like outfits, and class out the wazoo (can ladies say wazoo?) However, I don’t just want a pretty face, I want a healthy body too, so it is equally important to me to have products that are made of natural ingredients. Here are some of my favorites:
Skincare and Makeup
(Many of the product’s names are links to the manufacturers webpage. You can also click on the photos for an enlarged look at the products.)
1. Origins pressed powder, lipstick, eyebrow pencil, eyeshadows, cleanser and moisturizer (found at Macy’s)
2. Physicians Formula mascara
3. Physicians Formula pressed powder and tinted moisturizer (worn when I can’t afford Origins. PF is a great all-natural brand found at most drugstores.)
4. Nail polish and remover from Gaiam
5. Praire Rose chapstick
Bath and Body
1. Edens Shower shaving bar (Yes, it is my husband’s. And yes, I use it without asking. It is just, so , so amazing.) Edens Shower bar soap and body lotion
2. Herbal Clear Natural Deodorant (aluminum free)
3. Lush’s Karma Body Powder (Once you start using dusting powder you won’t be able to stop!)
4. Prairie Rose Aromatherapy Bath Salts (The label says “calms, centers, relaxes.” Need I say more??)
5. Indian Healing Clay (To be used as a face mask, it works wonders and it makes for silly photos!)
All Natural Baby
1. Prairie Rose Diaper Rash Cream
2. Edens Shower Baby Soap
3. Little Moose By Liza cloth wipes/RagaBabe cloth wipes (I make my own diaper wipe solution, but I’ve never, ever liked using paper towels as the wipe. They aren’t a “green” option and I think the texture is horrible. I highly recommend that you purchase reusable wipes if you are interested in making your own wipe solution. It is fast, easy, and you can control the ingredients! I simply make the solution in a spray bottle and spray directly on the wipe.)
4. Burt’s Bees Baby Bubble Bath (used to make the wipe solution)
5. California Baby Sunscreen
A few years ago, as my mom and I were walking around the Herb Fair at Quailcrest Farms in Wooster, Ohio, we came across Carol and Gary Edens of Edens Shower. Carol and Gary make wonderful all-natural skin care products and we instantly fell in love with both them and their creations. As I mentioned before, they make a shaving bar that, truly, I don’t have words to tell you how much I love this product. It leaves your skin feeling silky smooth, lasts forever, and has the added bonus of coming with an old-timey brush that you use to apply it that makes you feel just so gosh darn luxurious.
Edens Shower soaps and lotions smell and feel wonderful, and everyone in my family looks forward to opening up our stockings each Christmas to see what product we get to try next. Another personal favorite is their all-natural bug repellant. Not only does is smell lovely (it has an herbal, not chemical smell), but it also works great.
Edens Shower was kind enough to donate an incredible basket full of their goodies to raffle off to a His Girl Friday reader. Lucky you! But before I get to that, let me give you some contact information in case you want to look into purchasing their products:
Now, for the moment you’ve all been waiting for……
I was hoping to have a very official way of doing this give away, but life got in the way this week and so I’m going to have to do things a little bit different. To be entered into the drawing, choose a way to share this blog from the list below and then leave me a comment telling me about it. For example, if you pinned this blog post (or any post!) to your Pinterest page, just tell me about it in a comment on THIS post. Each time you share this blog in some new way will count as a separate raffle entry, as long as you tell me about it ;-). Here is how you can be entered:
1. Sign up to receive a weekly email notifying you of a new post (ie “follow” this blog)
2. Pin a post (posts) to your Pinterest
3. Tweet about His Girl Friday or a specific post (Don’t forget to tag me, @hisgirlfriday14)
4. Email this blog to a friend (extra entry if that friend signs up to follow!)
5. Sign up to follow me on Instagram
6. Mention His Girl Friday on Instagram (Don’t forget to tag me, @hisgirlfriday14 and #hisgirlfriday or #bekahblogs)
7. Post His Girl Friday on your Facebook
Again, if you do any of those things, leave me a comment on THIS blog post and you will be entered into the drawing for the fabulous Edens Shower gift basket! Don’t forget to tell me if you shared multiple ways to be entered in multiple times. I will accept entries until Thursday, March 27 at 6 PM. The winner will be announced on next week’s blog post. Good luck!
***There are “share” buttons at the end of each post. This is the easiest way to share via email, Pinterest and Facebook