I am not a cold weather person. I don’t like temperatures below 65 degrees. I live for days above 80. Hot and humid? Even better. Give me my running shoes so I can go for a run and feel alive in heat and the sun.
Ohio, is gray and cold right now and I’m SO OVER IT. Ehh. Guys. It’s really getting to me. So, in an effort to, you know, be chipper and add a little pep to my step, I thought I’d share my top five guilty pleasures that I enjoy. And then I’m probably going to go enjoy all five of them because, seriously, THIS WEATHER IS STEALING MY SOUL. (Not prone to the melodramatic side of life at all.)
- A bath. This is probably my go-to guilty pleasure. I love a good book, some soaking salts mixed with yummy smelling essential oils, and a hot steamy bath. It’s such a great way for me to relax, recharge, and shift my mental state out of a funk. Plus, it helps me fall asleep quicker at night, which means I wake up feeling more rested the next morning. Win, win! I probably take a late night bath about once a week.
- Thrifting. I’m not much of an impulse shopper or shop-as-a-pick-me-up, kinda shopper. My husband and I got married very young which meant we were also very broke, which means we didn’t have the luxury to shop when we were stressed. However, I love to take a few dollars from my coffee money and instead hit up a thrift store to see what sort of treasures I can find for cheap. I always try to find something that is both pretty and useful, a combination that instantly makes me happy!
- A nap. I know lots of people who get a ton of stuff done while their kids nap during the day. That is so awesome! Yay, you guys. I genuinely admire those people. I’m, *cough, cough*, nooooot one of those people. I probably nap when my kids nap right around 5 out of seven days of the week. So…yeah. Even though Theo doesn’t nap, he has a mandatory quiet time each day that keeps the mommy sane since we spend so much time together. He has a list of things he is allowed to do during this time, and for the most part, I’m able to sneak in a nap on the sofa while the little ones sleep in their rooms and Theo reads/does yoga/colors in the living room. Naps are life giving, LIFE GIVING. I love them so.
- Cheese. I don’t love desserts. I mean, there are desserts that I enjoy for sure. But if you said to me, “I’m sorry, but you can’t ever have another dessert in your life,” I would find that weird and want to know why, but it wouldn’t bother me. I love cheese. I love FINE cheeses. The weirder the better. Got a fun cracker to put that cheese on? Even better. Got a crazy spread to go on the cracker with that cheese? Oh momma. Sold.
- Coffee dates with friends. My coffee dates with my friends, whether they be out at a cute local spot or enjoyed in one of our kitchens, are almost not a guilty pleasure at all and just plain one of life’s greatest pleasures, but I think it also qualifies here. I spend a lot of time working with and for my family, and I enjoy doing this so much. It is my privilege and honor, and I GET TO do the things that I do for them. But every other week or so, I make sure to schedule a coffee date with a friend. The combination of coffee + friendship + no children is magic, PURE MAGIC. It refreshes me. It inspires me. And I truly believe it makes me a better person. The “guilty pleasure” part comes into play when I spend five hours on these coffee dates. Thank goodness for a 24-hour Starbucks and a husband who is happy to go to bed without me when he sees that I’m still not back at 11 PM. God bless him, and God bless coffee, and God bless friendship.
So tell me. What are your go-to guilty pleasures? A good book? A certain food? A particular way to pamper yourself! Give us the skinny on all your favorites!